Saturday, July 11, 2009

Lawson's Future Girlfriend

Lawson has been betrothed since we found out he was going to be a boy! My friend Katie and I were due on exactly the same day, April 25, and they found out that she was having a girl right around the same time that we found out I was having a boy. Since Katie and my husband, Brian are both huge Carolina fans, they decided that our boy and their girl will have to marry someday, or at least date! :)

As you know if you've been following my blog, Lawson was invited into the world 6 weeks early so the neonatologists at Duke could better deal with the myriad of problems we already knew he would face, thanks to the ultrasound taken at 33 weeks. On March 13 at 11:09 pm, Lawson entered the world limp and lifeless and was rushed away to the NICU so the neonatologists could begin the long and tedious job of saving his life. It ended up taking 11 weeks and 1 day to get Lawson home with us. To look at him now, you would NEVER guess all he has been through! On Monday, he will be 4 months old, having spent only 6 weeks of that time at home.

Katie's little beauty arrived happy and healthy on April 10 at 11:51 am. Catesby Larew Partin was born, weighing in at 7 lbs 5 ounces and measuring 21 and half inches long. Catesby celebrated her 3 month birthday on Friday. (Lawson is the 'older man' by about one month.) To mark the day, her amazing and adorable mommy posted the cutest list on facebook of 20 things her 3 month old has taught her . . . so far. With Katie's permission, I'm sharing it here.

1. Babies do not differentiate between diapers and bath tubs...both are poop, I mean, par for the course.
2. Even though new moms don't feel great about their appearance, it doesn't matter, because no one is looking at you anymore anyway!
3. Small successes are to be celebrated: Catesby's smiles, coos, and wobbly head holding are cause to break out the champagne.
4. It's okay to be late. I never again will fault any parent who arrives to any function later than expected.
5. Stay at home moms should be paid.
6. Recording milestones on video takes a ton of patience.
7. New moms have their boobs out a lot.
8. Maternity leave is not the time you'll get all those chores done you thought you would. Taking care of baby is about all you'll have time for.
9. Babies look cuter in hats and other accessories, even if they'll only keep them on for a millisecond.
10. Baby vomit is called spitup so you won't be quite as grossed out.
11. No article of clothing is safe from baby spitup.
12. Avoiding talking about your child is nearly impossible for a new mom.
13. Taking yourself too seriously seems ridiculous once you've had a baby.
14. Leaving your baby is hard, even when you know she's in good hands.
15. Dogs like to lick babies' faces.
16. Breast pumps are fabulous inventions.
17. It feels remarkable to be needed and adored by your child.
18. It's exhausting to be needed and adored by your child.
19. It's not abnormal to want to stare at another human being this much.
20. Loving something this much is possible.
I'm sure there are more things that I've learned, but Baby Roo is telling me it's time to get my butt in gear and feed her!!!

Thanks, Katie, for letting me share your insights on this thing we call motherhood! :)

1 comment:

  1. Mitzi...how does one add photos to a blog? I have one, but apparently am blog-disabled!

    i truly LOVE following your day-day growing with Lawson and family. I did not have to delay breast feeding as you have had to do...

    but I will share this with you...30 years ago (geesh--Good LORD) my hubby and I left our 2 month old son with my grandparents in Wadesboro NC to attend an ECU-Wake Forest football game in Winston Salem.

    On the way home from the game, my breasts were soooo full and HARD that i HAD to express into whatever stadium cups i could find in the car...PAIN was not a sufficient description...

    then...when we finally arrived at my Grandparents' home, i did the UNTHINKABLE for all new parents...i WOKE our baby up and MADE him nurse! ahhhh...relief!!!!!

    Mitzi...you are my HEROINE! stop-pump-nurse-stop-pump-nurse-stop...are you kidding me????

    I am soooo impressed I(almost) hesitate to know the latest.

    HANG in there girl...well, REALLY???? Lawson and Lacy will not allow anything else...thus is GOD's plan and wisdom....elaine

    ReplyDelete