Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Titles

When Lacey woke up this morning, she came into my room just as I was about to get into the shower. Lawson was still asleep in the bassinette next to our bed, mom was still snoozing in her room, and Brian was already downstairs. Assuming Lacey would want to eat breakfast immediately, as she usually does, I said, "I really need to get in the shower, but Daddy's downstairs." To my surprise she climbed up onto my bed and said, "OK. I'll watch Lawson for you." Amazed by her maturity, I went along with it. After a few moments, I heard him crying. Lacey came running into the bathroom shouting, "Mommy, Lawson needs you!" I told her I couldn't get out yet and she'd have to figure it out. In classic Lacey style, she raced to her bathroom to get her stool, dragged it down the hall, climbed up, and gave Lawson his pacifier; crisis averted! Every day her grace and acceptance of her responsiblities as Big Sister astound me!
We are all still adjusting to our new version of normalcy. I'm still pumping every 3 - 4 hours. Lacey is absolutely indispensible. Brian is totally stepping up to the plate and vying for Dad of the Year. (Seriously, those of you who know him well, would be shocked and impressed! lol) My mom is starting to talk about when she should leave. Although we don't want her to leave - ever, we realize that at some point she will and when she does, our 'normal' will change once again. One thing that is certain currently, is that I will not be returning to teaching for at least a year. The team of doctors at Duke who saved Lawson's life were clear in their recommendation that, if at all possible, he should not enter a daycare setting until at least his first birthday due to his susceptibility to infection and need for individualized care. Not to mention the numerous follow up appointments we will have over the coming year. We already have 3 scheduled over the next month. So needless to say, staying home is a no-brainer for us. I mean seriously, how could you leave that adorable face!?
Honestly though, I find that Teacher is a role I just can't shake! It's a good thing that Lacey has a voracious appetite for learning! I took her to the library and lunch at Jersey Mike's today, just the two of us, to show her how much I appreciate her help with Lawson. We found ourselves sounding out and labeling the things on our table- bag, cup, lid, chips, napkin, etc, with the Sharpie I just happened to have in my purse. When class let out, we arrived home just in time for Lawson's bottle and medicine administration, so I assumed my role of Nurse.

Staying home with my children is definietly a role I've always wanted to take on, so I'm pretty excited to gain the title 'Stay Home Mom'. Although I'm not sure the logistics of the term . . . do I still get to call myself a Stay Home Mom if I'm technically on leave? If we look at semanitcs, I am, in fact, staying home. So I think I'll go ahead and claim that title, at least for a year! ;)

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations....best and hardest job in the world!!!!!Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is truly no better job in the world! Lacey and Lawson are so lucky~ Brassfield won't be the same without you. Looks like I will have to "Tootie Taa" with Lacey :)
    I am so happy for you.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!!! U r an awesome teacher-that will always be there when u r ready, u r even a more amazing Mom!! Lacey doesnt surprise me one bit! She waited a long time for her baby brother to come home, I believe she has been rehearsing her big sister role in her dreams for quite awhile!! Don't hesitate if you need anything, I dont have to visit-can just drop off or take Lacey on a road trip!!
    Lots of love and hugs to the Levering crew!!
    :)
    Lauri
    *love the outfit-pups on his feet-adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mitzi,

    I am definitely in favor of staying at home at least the first year of the baby's life. God saw to it that you have this opportunity! Enjoy it...the economical challenges will be a mere distant memory before you know it.

    love,
    elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, it's Kath in Birmingham...Danielle's sis-in-law. In our department, if you are fertile and married, you're having babies. So, we've got lots of us 'young' mothers. Every week, we read your blog and are simply inspired and amazed. Your writing style is terrificly telling, your attitude is contagiously uplifting, and none of us can read your diary without a box of tissues. You have no idea how many lives your are touching with your words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mitzi, I am soooooooooo happy for all of you. Lawson is amazing and gets cuter by the day!!! So glad things are getting back to "normal"...it's been a long time coming. Lawson remains in our prayers. Thanks for the blog and for telling your story. We love you all. Scott, Chris, and Clint

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mitzi - Nathan passed your blog to Chris (who's been speaking to him about jobs) after I'd asked him to see if he had any update on how you guys were doing. I just wanted to say that I am SO happy that Lawson is home, and that, while I know this is outside of your norm for motherhood so far, I am sure you will look back on this in three years when Lawson's running around as a healthy, normally-milestoned mischievious little boy and actually smile with a bit of melancholy and longing. While she was not nearly as challenged as your little guy when she was born, Maya was 6 weeks early and 3 lbs, 11 ounces at birth, and it was a scary, completely unexpected process for us. I certainly hadn't expected the c-section or to be pumping for nine long months, but you know that today she's happy and healthy and smart, just as I'm sure Lawson will be. He is obviously SUCH a tough kid and looks about as sweet as you can imagine, and he is obviously well, well-loved. So hang in there during those 2 a.m. pumping sessions and as you feel housebound in week four (been there!) because it will all pass by before you know it. Congratulations on your beautiful little boy and having already taught Lacey to be a great big sister! You guys look great!
    Leigh Burchell

    ReplyDelete