Thursday, June 11, 2009

Working out the kinks

Brian is back to work, but thankfully my mom is still here with me. Since Lawson is on such a strict feeding/medication schedule, we're trying to use that as a baseline to work out a sort of daily schedule, a lesson plan if you will. Those of you who know me well, know how much I like a plan! Seriously, without a plan I would never accomplish anything! So I guess it's more of a need than a 'like'. :)

I've had almost two weeks to get a feel for our new day and three days doing it without Brian. My mom and I are attempting to create a spreadsheet of days and times so we can fill in all the things that have to happen at a specific time; mixing up Lawson's 'potion', feeding Lawson, feeding Lacey, pumping, giving Lawson's meds, giving Lacey's meds, giving Lawson's nebulizer, and washing bottles and pump parts. Those are the 'must dos' every single day, most of which fall within a 3 hour range, I have to be pretty regimented to get it all in.

Even with my mom being here, one of the things that seems to get pushed off schedule is pumping. I know how important it is for Lawson to get the breastmilk, which translates to being important for me to pump, but somehow finding time to sit here for 30 minutes, when there are so many other 'active' things I need to do, seems elusive. Plus Lawson needs to be either sleeping or happy and comfortable for at least 30 minutes, since it's next to impossible for me to hold him while I pump. Lacey is a huge help, but I can't put that much responsibility on her.
Then of course, there are the other things we need to schedule into our day/week, such as Lacey's learning and 'project' times, outdoor play, baths, grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry, cooking . . . I know many mothers before me have done this and done it well, but I'll go ahead and admit - I'm scared! I'm barely making it happen right now, while mom is still here to entertain Lawson and Lacey, so I'm a little nervous for her to leave. My dad is coming to visit Father's Day weekend and she'll be heading home with him that next week. That means I've got less than two weeks to work out the kinks!
(Speaking of working out kinks, I'm planning to go back and add some pictures to the older posts, now that I have a better idea of how this blogger thing works. Back then I was just trying to get all my thoughts in written form, but now I'd like to match the pictures up with the time frame. So I apologize if you're a blog 'follower'; I think you'll receive an email each time I make changes.)

3 comments:

  1. Mitzi-
    Don't worry too much about doing everything by yourself. As a fellow mother of a "superbaby" I am finding out that everything just cannot get done (by me) everyday. You will just do all of the MUST DO's and then somethings will have to wait until Brian comes home or the next day!

    I am so glad that Lawson is doing great!!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries, your Brassfield friends are 1 call away!! We r all very vested in this little guy and u.......just give me a call anytime!! B, U and Lacey will do awesome, but remember-here for you if u need me! anytime!! :)
    Hugs to the Levering crew! Keep growing strong little buddy!
    :)
    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you and your family, your chidren are absolutely beautiful!!! I love the picture of Lawson laughing, it brings tears of joy to my eyes. God is so good! With love and prayers, Bruce and Lori Boggs

    ReplyDelete