Monday, March 23, 2009

Another good day


Brian went back to work today and since he works in Durham, he dropped me off this morning at the hospital. It was awesome to spend the entire day with Lawson. He was doing so well, that his nurse, Kelly, let me help wash his hair! We used a little 'scrub brush' dipped in soapy water and then rinsed with a wet cloth. It was the first thing he's gotten cleaned since his birth! She said that if things keep going this well, he can get a real bath soon. She also said he's ready for us to start bringing him some blankets.

The UAC, Umbilical Arterial Catheter, has been in since birth and is used to take regular blood samples. It goes in through the umbilical cord into an artery and gives an easy blood sample without sticking him. Since his umbilical cord is doing what it's supposed to do, which is dry up and fall off, it was time to remove his UAC today. It is both good and bad. Good because now he has one less 'tube' coming out of his body. Bad because now when they need a blood sample, they have to prick his heel.

He's still on the conventional ventilator. It is set to 20 breaths per minute. He has been breathing around 45 - 55 breaths per minute. What's great about that is that every number over 20 is a breath that he's taking on his own!!!

Other exiting news, that only a child's mother can appreciate . . . he had his first poop!! And I got to change it! :) According to the neonatologist, the stomach and it's functions are pretty low on the totem pole for oxygenation, meaning that his body has a way of getting oxygen to the 'important' organs, like the brain and heart first. Now that he's breathing much better, we're moving toward removing the breathing tube and possibly beginning to give him breastmilk through the feeding tube, so we needed to clear out the meconium that's been sitting in his intestines for 10 days. Unfortunately, in order to get things moving, he had to have a little help with a glycerine 'chip'. Poor guy!

We're all excited about tomorrow. Brian is going to work early so he can leave early. I'm going to stay home with Lacey and grandma. Then we're all going to the hospital for 'Family Craft Night' at the NICU. When I explained it all to Lacey this evening, she was running around the kitchen yelling, "Yeah!!! I get to make a craft!!! I love CRAFTS!!!" She'll be able to play and have fun making crafts in the waiting room with grandma and other NICU siblings while we visit with Lawson. What a perfect day!

13 comments:

  1. Great update Mitzi...enjoy your special day tomorrow. You're in our thoughts each and every day.
    Love, Lenny & Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY GIRL, I HOPE THAT TOMORROW IS AS SPECIAL AS YOU ARE EXPECTING. I HOPE LACEY GETS TO HAVE A GREAT TIME AND LAWSON HAS IMPROVED REMARKABLE AMOUNTS. YOU ARE STILL IN MY PRAYERS AND WILL BE. LOVE THIS BLOG BY THE WAY ITS THE FIRST THING I CHECK ON MY FACEBOOK EVERY DAY. LOVE YA, AMANDA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitzi, Isn't it funny how fast mothers can become doctors. Little Mr. Lawson is close to my heart and in my prayers. Know that your little boy is teaching others right now, he is a life instructor and we all are his students. My love and prayers are with you all...Karen Smith :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mitzi,
    I just wanted to tell you how proud I am to know you, and how wonderful it is to read your blog about Lawson... I'm not just speaking of his progress (which is amazing in itself, thank God above) but of the woman you've become. It's evident in your writing, and it's been a real blessing to me.
    Texas sized hugs,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little poop is awsome. Soon there will be many many many many ----> more. Children are precious gifts from God. With Lawson it is like opening a gift ever so carefully. Open one little corner, you get to touch his hand. Another corner, you clean his head. Yet another, a suprise for you, a little poop. Very soon the gift will be carfully unwraped all the way. Then you can hold Lawson in you arms. Be patient, This is a wonderful gift that belongs at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mitzi & Brian,

    I read your blog everyday and it brings tears to my eyes each time I read it. I am so glad that Lawson is making such good progress and I know that every little thing that you are allowed to do for him (even changing his poopy diaper)is a thrill for you and I know you can't wait to hold him and that day will come -
    soon I hope. You are doing a wonderful job keeping us up-to-date with his progress - you should save this for his baby book. I'm praying for all of you every day.

    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hes sooo precious!!! God bless you all.Thankyou for sharing this with us!!!! Kendall misses you!!! He looks alot like the picture i saw of Lacey!!! Gorgeous...Your in our prayers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mitzi and Brian,

    What a cutie! Great news about his poop, yes only a mother/father can appreciate that! Glad to read that he is doing so well, good progress with decreasing to the traditional vent and removing his UAC line. I hope he continues to do well. You four are in our thoughts and prayers daily!
    Heather, Dave, and Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're all cheering for Lawson! What an amazingly tough little guy! He and all of you are in my prayers.

    ~Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this with us - we are thinking of you all the time and praying for your beautiful family.....we miss you more than you know!

    Karen Gring

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear of Lawson's progress. The little steps are always just as thrilling. He will be amazed to look back on your blog when he's all grown up. Hang in there and know that the entire JLR is praying for you guys!

    Lisa Vanderberry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mrs. Levering,
    Thank you so much for allowing the parents of your class to view your blog. You and your family have been in our thoughts and prayers and we know Lawson will be a champ. Selfishly....I am assuming this means more Duke fans in your family and for that I'm grateful ;-).
    We will continue to pray for you.
    Big hugs,
    Liz, Marc, Faith and Mya Hargrove

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mitzi-
    I am so happy to hear that Lawson is doing better....yay he pooped!! I am thinking of you and your family and saying a special prayer every day. My friends at work and family are asking about him as well. I sent out a mass email to my co-workers and family/friends. Even though, I'm not there....I am thinking of ya'll! Love, Allyson

    ReplyDelete