Thursday, March 19, 2009

Snooze Button

It's 2:58 am and I'm wide awake! It's not that I can't sleep; I could, I was - very well actually. I'm instead doing the one thing I can actively do to help Lawson's recovery. One day, when he's well enough, he will need to eat to survive, so I'm pumping my breastmilk for the nurses to freeze until he is ready for it. (He is currently getting everything he needs through an IV.) All of the mothers of babies in the NICU are strongly encouraged to pump for the health of their babies. So in order to 'train' your body to produce the milk that is needed, you must pump every 3 hours, just as if he were actually feeding. As I sit here listening to the rhythmic sound of the breastpump, I'm thinking about something Brian said to 'lighten' the mood yesterday morning when my alarm was going off at 5:30 am. He said, "Hey, at least you can hit snooze! You can't snooze a real baby!" Oh that Brian has a way with words! :) I'd trade that baby in my arms for a snooze button any day! Soon enough . . .

3 comments:

  1. You are wonderful! Love to you all from us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is precious! Hang in there Leverings....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! I worked in the NNICU at the county hospital for awhile as the dietitian (making sure the TPN was right for all the premies). You're a great mom!

    ReplyDelete