Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Practice makes perfect

Lacey and I had a blast today making instruments with items from the recycle bin, playing with Little People, and washing seashells in the sink. Brian called early in the day saying he had talked to Lawson's nurse and they might remove his breathing tube today. He got home at 3pm and we headed for the hospital. Unfortunately, grandma isn't feeling well today, so she stayed home. Since there were only 2 of us, we couldn't go back to visit Lawson together, as one of us had to watch Lacey. Brian went back first. I told him I didn't want him to tell me if the tube was out; I wanted to see for myself. When it was my turn, I couldn't believe my eyes! I finally got to see his beautiful face with no nasty breathing tube tape stuck all over it! Talk about happy tears and uncontrollable crying! The mother of the baby across the room from Lawson had predicted it. She told Lawson's nurse, "She's going to lose it!" She was so right! He was under a little oxygen tent, but still NO TUBE!!! They had him positioned on his stomach. That was the first time I've seen his back! I was able to put my hand under the oxygen tent and rub his precious little back. Aaaaaah! :)

After that fabulous experience it was time for 'craft night'. We really had no idea what to expect, so we sat in the conference room chatting with one of the nurses while we waited for someone to come with the key to open the 'craft' cabinet. It turns out that each NICU family receives a Creative Memories scrapbook to work on every Tuesday night. They have tons of scrapbooking paper, stickers, letters and supplies to create pages. Lacey had a great time using stamps and stickers to decorate some pictures for Lawson.

Just as we were leaving, we were told that it is a very good possibility that he will need to have the breathing tube put back in because he was breathing pretty hard. The Nurse Practitioner said that it's normal for babies like Lawson to come off the ventilator, get some practice using their lungs, wear themselves out, and then go back on the ventilator. It definitely wasn't the news I wanted to hear, but whatever it takes to get him better!!! I'd much rather have him getting some practice using his lungs than not!

11 comments:

  1. He is so beautiful!!! :) U can really see him! Awesome progress, so great to hear!! Go Lawson GO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that must have been an amazing moment! I can't imagine how difficult it would be to have a child that is sick like this at all....much less right after giving birth! Take care of yourself, too :) You're an awesome mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI MITZI, CAROLYN & ALL....I HOPE YOU REMEMBER ME FROM H.H.S...I HAVE BEEN LEARNING ABOUT LAWSON THROUGH CHRIS & SCOTT....SO GLAD THAT HE IS IMPROVING EACH DAY..KEEP UP THE FAITH AND GOD WILL BRING HIM THROUGH THIS...PRAYERS REALLY WORK....TAKE CARE....WE WILL BE CHECKING ON HIM EVERY DAY.....LOVE TO ALL...RALPH & SUE KISER

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Lawson! We are so glad that he is making progress! Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Thank you so much for setting up the blog so that we could keep up with the progress. Nolan and Mason think that little Lawson is so cute! Diana Frost

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mitzi - I love reading your blogs every day and hearing about all of the great strides that Lawson is making! You are all still in my prayers every day! We'll be praying for these miracles to keep on coming!
    Jenn Stikeleather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mitzi, what good news! He is so precious. There is something special about little boys backs!! We'll keep those prayers going.
    Tricia Foushee

    ReplyDelete
  7. on my goodness Mitzi he is just a doll....we of all people know practice does make perfect....keep trying hard little fellow!!blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is so beautiful. He seems to look a lot like Brian from these pictures. He's strong and this will just make him stronger in life...all of you. Take care-Bekki

    ReplyDelete
  9. What GREAT NEWS. I just want you all to know that my small group is praying you all. Please let me know if I can do anything for you all.

    Love Jenn Dunn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay!! I am so happy to finally see his cute little face!! Keep the good news coming!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great!! Lawson is beautiful. I love his sweet little fingers holding on to grandma. Tell Lacey I miss seeing her everyday. Tracy

    ReplyDelete