Thursday, March 26, 2009

Really Yucky Day!

So it is mastitis- double mastitis actually (both breasts)! Of course this is both good and bad. It's great because I'm not contagious and can go to see Lawson. It's bad because I truly feel terrible and didn't have it in me to make it to the hospital today! I was able to get in with my OB and they've given me an antibiotic. My doctor said I should start to feel better by tomorrow; let's hope he's right! :(

Brian did go by the hospital after work and today's visit really upset him. He said that most of the nurses were new so he didn't recognize many of them and he felt a little uncomfortable. He got some news that he wasn't expecting. He was functioning on only a few hours sleep because my uncontrollable shaking/teeth chattering and pumping every 3 hours kept him awake. Not to mention me asking him to bring me ibuprofen and water and extra blankets and bring the milk down to the freezer. Needless to say, he was feeling pretty rough this evening.

Apparently, Lawson's lungs are much 'sicker' than they had thought and he had to be put back on the jet ventilator. We were able to have a lengthy conversation with one of his doctors over the phone this evening. Although Dr. Goldstein assured us that going back to the jet is NOT 'going backwards', it sure feels like it! She said that it is not uncommon and this is what he needs right now. It's just a really hard pill to swallow when he seemed to be making so much progress so quickly. Dr. Goldstein even commented that all the doctors and nurses were amazed with how rapidly he was progressing. She pointed out that the only way they would have known whether or not he was ready to breathe on his own was to try it. I'm just thankful that he got to try it and we got to see his beautiful face, if only for a day. Soon enough we'll see it every day! :) The settings on the jet are set very low and they are currently giving him a diuretic to try and 'dry out' his body. She mentioned that this could be something that he will need to continue for quite some time, even when he comes home from the hospital. We're definitely prepared to give him medicine every day if that's what he needs!

The one bright spot of today was having Danielle here. She really has been a lifesaver! She has been able to drive me home from the hospital yesterday, drive me to my hair appointment last night and hang out the whole time, both drop off and pick up Lacey from daycare, get my lunch, go to the grocery store for some essentials, help diagnose my mastitis, take me to my OB appointment, pick up my prescription, clean out and organize my pantry, buy me a spa pedicure gift certificate, and basically be there for me! It will be really hard to let her leave tomorrow, but she's got three boys who need her (husband and two sons). I realize the world doesn't revolve around me, but it sure was fun while it lasted! :)

5 comments:

  1. He is SO beautiful! Hope you feel better soon... We are continuing to pray for ya'll! Thanks for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you are not well. Have you checked with Lawson's doctor, if the antibiotics you are taking will transfer into your breast milk and have any effect Lawson. We are praying for you to get better soon. Also for Lawson and your family. Have a great day and may God bless you greatly. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope those meds kick in fast so that you can feel better! Sounds like it's been a tough couple of days for you guys. I'm praying that you will not get discouraged and can continue to feel emotionally connected with little Lawson...not an easy task given the circumstances. It's sad that Brian felt uncomfortable there during his visit...it's a busy place and sometimes the staff forgets how intimadating it can be to not have someone try to connect with you. Hang in there - sending love from TX!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Levering Family! I had no idea that this was happening. Please know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers. It sounds like you have a real fighter on your hands. He'll be home before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear you're not feeling well, mastitis sounds horrible. Hope you start to pick up soon, and Lawson picks up again too. Beautiful baby, thanks for keeping the blog updated.

    Wishing you both well,

    Angela :)

    ReplyDelete