Wednesday, March 18, 2009

From the Beginning . . .

I guess I'll begin this blog with the emails that I sent as the whole thing got underway and then update from there. Here's the email I first sent out after the initial test results and before he arrived. . .

I know some of you have heard some of our story, but I wanted to catch everyone up with the whole story so far. . . (As of March 13 at 10:10 am)

Basically, two weeks ago at my regular OB appt, they said I was measuring big and ordered an ultrasound for my next appt. That appt was this Wednesday at my 33 week check up. During the ultrasound, they found an excess of fluid in the baby's chest. This got us an immediate transfer to Duke University Medical Center. We were admitted to Duke on Wednesday night and have been here ever since. We had a ton of tests done and bascially here's what they've found. . . Almost his entire left chest cavity is filled with fluid a condition called hydrops fetalis. They believe it to be caused by CCAM tumors that were also found on the lungs through the ultrasound. The fluid is either compressing his left lung OR it has been squished by the fluid and the lung has not fully developed. They will not know for sure until he is delivered. It has also pushed his heart over into the right chest cavity, not where it should be. Because of this, they have decided it best to induce labor today. We've been told to expect for him to be whisked away to the NICU as soon as he arrives. He will be put on a breathing machine, chest tubes, and have the fluid extracted from his chest. From there, he will remain in the NICU for 1 -2 months. We've basically been told that ' he is a very sick boy'. :(

Lacey was lucky enough to be in Virginia visiting my parents while all of this has been going on so she has been in very good hands and unaware of the situation! However, my father has been admitted to the hospital with chest pains and what could have been another heart attack! When it rains it pours! Many of you have asked what you can do to help. At this point we just need everyone to keep us in your thoughts and prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mitzi this is your moms friend carrol just wanted you to know me & my prayer pardons are praying daily for Lawson & the family Love & God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want you to know that you said that when it rain it pours. Well, there is a rainbow at the end of your storm. Just stay strong and know that God knows what is best for your family. Although, you have many tears of pain, soon they will be tears of joy. Just hang in there!!!! Even though the winds blow I want you to know You cause me no alarm cause im safe in his arms Even though your rain fall i can still make this call Let there be peace then you will say go away
    i command you to move today
    because of faith you have a brand new day
    the sun will shine and you will be okay
    thats what i told the storm

    ReplyDelete