Thursday, March 19, 2009

Reinforcements arrive!

It's 8:44 on Wednesday, March 18, exactly one week since this wild rollercoaster began. This is the first day I've been able to go without crying hysterically at the drop of a hat (so far). My parents arrived today and joined us at the hospital. I don't care how old you are, a gal still needs her mommy!!!

We got a call at 3am that the air had reaccumulated in the pocket around Lawson's heart (pneumopericardium) and they would have to install a more permanent catheter to help with draining the air. They called again this morning to let us know that it had been installed and he came through just fine. That boy is definitely a fighter! :) We waited at home until my parents arrived and then got Lacey all settled with some very good friends, before we went to the hospital today.

We went in to see him in pairs; my mom and I went first, then my dad and Brian. To me, he looked great today, but it was a shock to my mom, who had only seen pictures of our little man. Seeing him surrounded by all those machines and attached to them with dozens of wires and tubes is a little overwhelming at first. We arrived just in time to watch the nurse do a 'work up', which is when she checks all his tubes, moves some of the monitors around, changes his diaper, and basically checks that everything is as it should be. She let me help her change his bedding today and I got to kiss his perfect little toes when she was changing the blood pressure monitor on his foot! Aaaah, what an amazing moment! :) (Since he's on 'minimum stimulation' we're not really supposed to touch him.) He was off the paralytic, so he was much more awake and aware than usual. He opened his eyes several times and even moved his right arm and his feet a little. It felt so amazing to see him actually moving! I realize that it's safest and easiest for them to care for him when he's paralized, but I just can't stand to see him that way!

Overall, I would say it has been an amazing day! My mommy's here to take care of me, Lacey had a fun filled day with friends, and we've come one day closer to bringing our amazing little miracle home!

4 comments:

  1. Praying for you and your sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your positive spirit is a wonderful inspiration Mitzi. It is generous of you to share your life with us right now when there is so much you must concentrate on... it is also so reassuring to see a picture of Lawson and learn of his very brave, fighting spirit. What an amazing family... (Pam)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of you are in our thoughts and prayers. Lawson is such a gorgeous boy - just like his sister and parents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for making such a great effort to keep us all informed at this tumultuous time in your lives. We will be praying for his continued improvement and strength.

    Keep the breastmilk coming; I know how strenuous this can be as well, but it is the PERFECT food for Little Lawson. We love you.

    Lisa B.

    ReplyDelete