Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Meeting

For the past two Tuesdays, my good friend, Lauri, has taken off work to help me out and drive me to the hospital. It's nice to have a friend for the drive. I don't think she knew what she was getting into today . . . We had a long to-do list before I had to be at the hospital for a meeting with Lawson's team of doctors. We had to return things to both Target and Walmart, then pick up a few groceries and return them to my house, and wait for me to pump again before we could go to the hospital. We grabbed a quick bite to eat at Chili's before heading to Duke. I ran into an old friend and caught him up on everything that's happened. It's the first time in a while I've had to start the story from the beginning. It was easiest to just give him the blog info. Not only is writing this blog theraputic for me, it makes telling the story a lot easier.

Lauri and I got to the hospital just in time for me to get to the meeting we were supposed to have at 2:30pm. She dropped me off and went to find a parking spot while I ran upstairs so I wouldn't be late. I wasn't late, since the doctors got busy and the meeting ended up beginning at 4pm. Poor Lauri waited in the waiting room the whole time! Then she drove back to Raleigh to pick up Lacey from daycare. It's gotten to the point that it's a surprise to Lacey who will be there to get her each evening- Danielle, my sister Michelle, Kelly, Nathan, Jeff, Lauri. I know this has to be taking a toll on her, but she's been such a trooper!

We met with two of the Pediatric Pulmonologists, Dr. Goldberg, and two of the Nurse Practitioners. We were presented with some research and we all weighed the pros and cons of using the steroid. After about an hour of debating, we decided to go ahead since there are truly no other options at this point. Plus the 'risk factors' are for very premature infants; Lawson is considered 37 gestational weeks old now and so has reached 'full term'. This means that the risks of using the steroid are much lower. The plan is to start the steroid tonight in conjunction with the right mainstem intubation. We will watch for progress over the next two weeks and stop treatment if there are any negative side effects.

7 comments:

  1. We're praying that the steroids will work with no negative side effects, and that God will strengthen and uphold you all during this time. Let me know if you ever need anything,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying for the steriod to bring nothing but good news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Lawson Go! Keep up the fight! Go Mitzi and Brian Go! Keep up the fight with God's strength! Go Lacey Go! Keep up that spirit of joy and acceptance from the love of joyful friends picking you up daily. Go mom go as you get the blessing/privilege of once more intimately comforting "your baby". Go Lauri Go!... for the lesson share in patience we all would love to give to the Leverings. You are our surrogate.
    All under the auspices of God, our Father, Jesus our redeemer and the Spirit of God working through everyone... Go friends and prayer warriors Go! God Is Good All The Time!
    HE is risen!!! Let us give praises for His Good works on Lawson's behalf, even as we pray for His continuance with this new step!
    Love, Jackie "Spot"

    ReplyDelete
  4. MITZI....I GET UP EVERY MORNING AND GET ON THIS SITE TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY IMPROVEMENTS....I JUST KNOW THAT GOD IS WORKING WITH LITTLE LAWSON AND ONE MORNING, I WILL GET ON AND IT WILL SAY....HE IS MUCH BETTER....KEEP ON FIGHTING LAWSON....A FRIEND OF H.H.S......SUE KISER

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitzi, know that little lawson is a fighter. he is in our thoughts and prayers everyday.

    love,
    jennifer short

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mitzi,
    Yes, Lawson is such a fighter---just like his parents! Prayers going up all the time for Lawson and his entire family.

    Love you all,
    Linda DuRant

    ReplyDelete
  7. i stumbled upon your blog! lawson is precious and i hope things went well with the steriods. i too visit your site daily lately to see how things are going. i had a baby in the nicu too. it is tough. we are praying for you guys.

    regan

    ReplyDelete