Wednesday, April 29, 2009

High Five

Danielle and I arrived at the hospital early today so I could have some time with Lawson before his surgery. Brian stayed home to get Lacey off to daycare and mom felt like she could handle the stress of the day best at home. Brian got there early enough to spend some time with Lawson before his surgery. I got to hold him again and was actually happy that they were late in starting so I could spend more time with him.

They came to get him at about 11am. We were lucky enough to get a special room while we waited. The NICU has a room called 'Care by Parent Room', which is designed for families that are bringing their baby home. It is set up with comfy chairs, a television, and a bathroom so that parents can 'practice' with their baby for a day before they actually take him home. We were allowed to wait there during his surgery. We got regular updates from his nurse, Kelly, and were thrilled when she came to let us know that things went well and they were finished after only a few hours!

Dr. Rice, his surgeon, came and talked to us soon after and was practially beaming. Considering the previous conversations we had with him, it felt amazing to see him so positive. As you know, I had asked for prayers after learning of the surgery from Dr. Rice last week. He was kind, but serious and blunt, telling me that Lawson had about a 50% chance of surviving the surgery. So seeing him so truly giddy made my heart melt. I realize that it is probably not giving such a wonderfully talented surgeon his due respect by using the word, giddy, but I really can't come up with a better word. His words exactly were "it couldn't have gone better!" He only had to remove one lobe of the lung and was able to remove the sequestration, leaving the lower lobe. The lower lobe is not completely healthy, but seemed well enough to leave for now. There is a possibility that it may need to come out later, but at this point Lawson has one healthy lung and a portion of the other.

After Lawson was safely back to his room we were able to come and see him. He was a little swollen, but looked awesome considering what he had been through. Everyone seemed upbeat and I got a chance to chat with the Respiratory Therapist who had been with Lawson during his surgery. He made me feel so good when he said, "Dr. Rice gave me a high five." His face told me that that was a pretty big deal. :)

The next 24 hours are critical, so please keep praying for us all. We are so grateful to everyone for their support, prayers, and words of encouragement! It has meant everything to us to know what a huge cheering section Lawson has. I am amazed daily by the outpouring of love from our family, friends, aquaintences, work associates, and complete strangers.

Here's a video of Lawson after surgery sucking on his breathing tube. Let's hope that means he'll be good at feeding! :) Just click the arrow button to play.

28 comments:

  1. Praise the Good Lord!! I have thought of your situation all day. We will continue to pray for Lawson!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic news! I've prayed for you guys all day and will continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We're SOOOOO happy for ya'll!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the news we've been waiting for all day!!! We'll keep Lawson and your entire family in our thoughts and prayers.

    Kelly & Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a wonderful day - full of miracles, hope, faith, incredible medical skills ... and so much love. It is a quiet moment of celebration for Mitzi, Brian and Lacey... with so many from their family, work and faith communities feeling profoundly grateful for their good news :) Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. God is TRULY good!

    elaine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ran across your post b/c I was googling Lung Sequestration for the 1000th time. Our little man was born with a Rt Lung Sequestration and is scheduled for his surgery a week from today. I'm getting a bit scared thinking about it since it's so close. He's 5 months old today. I'll be praying for your little guy. ;) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mitzi and Brian, I've been following along and have been amazed with your great attitude. I'm trying to carry it with me. I've been keeping Lawson in my thoughts. I'm glad things went well today and hopefully you will have more good news to come.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such wonderful news! I am so excited. I hope the next 24 hrs go wonderful for little Lawson. He is amazing! We will continue to pray for your family. Love and hugs, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. I swear my heart is dancing with joy!!! This amazing, beautiful miracle boy is truly something special!! Go Lawson GOOO!! U ROCK!!
    Dr Rice.....look out-if I find u I have the biggest XO for u ever! ;)
    Mitzi and B, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Happy for U, I am still thinking and praying with all I have for all of you and ur little fighter! All my love to the Levering crew!
    :)Lauri
    **I really think all your hugs and kisses and that very sweet special Lacey kiss were truly magical for Lawson!! :)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. God IS GOOD! ...and HE ANSWERS Prayers! HE honors HIS promises to us! HE rewards our trust and faith in HIM. Just as Abraham was rewarded for his faith, so too, you have been rewarded for your faith and trust! Behold Lawson! Through Lawson all involved in this prayer partnership reap the benefit of increased faith. Lawson is AWESOME as he quietly goes about the work of GOD!Lord Jesus, we praise God for His JOY and work with Lawson this day! Hallelujah!!!
    JOY is truly what I hear in the word "giddy" used by Mitzi and I know in her spirit the joy must be so wildly activated that it is truly "giddy" level. :) Congratulations to Lawson for his dilligent fighting spirit! To Dr. Rice and the entire attending staff - thank you for your God given great talent. To the Levering "crew" (I like that), Thank you tremendously for your show of strength, sharing of your family love, trials,fears, ups, downs and todays's great joy. Mom, your quiet steadfastness is a reminder of God's silence and strength! What a great blessing you all continue to bring into so many lives. We are compelled to continue in prayer. We could do nothing less than that! HE, God our Father and Redeemer showers us continuously with His miracles as we wait in anticipation of the next one. God bless the Leverings!
    Love and Hugs to you all.
    Jackie Scott

    ReplyDelete
  12. What wonderful news! I know you are relieved, over-joyed and scared all at the same time. Keep up your unbelievable strength and continue to shower Lawson with love and kisses.
    God is good. Go Lawson go!
    Cindy

    * I want to be there when Lauri showers the doctors with love :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. GOD IS GOOD....WE HAVE PRAYED, PRAYED FOR THIS LITTLE BUNDLE AND WE KNEW THAT GOD WOULD BE RIGHT THERE IN THE SURGERY WITH HIM...KEEP UP YOUR FAITH AND JUST TRUST THAT GOD WILL STAY RIGHT WITH HIM AND BRING HIM THROUGH...HE IS SUCH A PRECIOUS LITTLE BABY...LOVE, SUE KISER

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great news as Lawson continues to be on my mind, and in my heart and prayers constantly. He is an amazing child and with all this love and support, he is going to get through this and be even stronger. I continue to pray for you and Brian, for your strength and well-being. I love you, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our lil miracle! Keep us posted, I'm so glad things went well. I was thinking of yal all day yesterday, love u!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mitzi,

    I have been awaiting this post and wish I would have checked last night before I went to bed...haah...I thought about you all all night and prayed and prayed. I'm literally in tears!! I'm soooo excited for you! His video is so adorable...thank you so much for sharing. We will continue to pray for you all.....

    Kim Langston:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i'm so happy! i too have been waiting for this post. i hope and pray he continues to do well and grows stronger and stronger.

    regan
    raleigh, nc

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so wonderfull. Our dear Lord and Father is taking great care of Lawson. Awsome Lawson has been in our prayers all day yesterday. He will continue to be in our prayers untill he leaves that hospital and gets home. And long after that.

    The Wake family, Quick Study TV and Good Friends Fellowship Church
    Orangeville, Ontario
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks be to God!!!! Robin Maxfield Henley

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful update and answer to prayer! God is with you - I know it! We're still praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So happy to hear that the surgery went well. As always you all are in my thoughts and heart. Donna U

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so happy to hear that Lawson's surgery went well. He's such a tough fighter! All of you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. ~ Diana

    ReplyDelete
  23. What fantastic news! Mindy and I will continue to ask God to pour down his blessings on Lawson, you and your family.

    John Lane

    ReplyDelete
  24. All of us here at JCE are praying for Lawson and your family. Please know that you are in our thoughts and we are all with you in spirit. We are rejoicing that Lawson is doing so well. He is adorable and so strong. What a wonderful God we have that hears and answers prayer. Your family is beautiful! Love you, Linda Holland

    ReplyDelete
  25. YAY!!! I may be "tracked out", but I am reading this daily and I am SOOOOO HAPPY.....the happy tears are flowing right now and I think about you EVERY day!!

    PS: I want to be there, too, when Lauri "gives the love"!! ;) Renee W.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mitzi and Brian,
    Wonderful news. Keep up your spirits. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and baby Lawson.

    Panchabi

    ReplyDelete
  27. We are all celebrating with you and your family and will continue to pray pray pray!Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have thought about Lawson all day, and prayed the surgery went well. I will continue to pray for him and all of the Leverings--you have been through so much--I know you felt so good to be able to hold him for that short time. I believe in my heart it will be an uphill battle from now on. God bless all of you.
    Love, Nancy Huxley

    ReplyDelete