Monday, May 11, 2009

Another Day

Brian and I met at the hospital this afternoon for our 'lick and learn' session with lactation. Lawson did an awesome job of latching on and sucking! Yet he is still reacting negatively to swallowing even drops of milk, so the Speech Pathologist is continuing to work with him on that. He is continuing to get his nutrition from my breastmilk through the gavage tube and TPN and lipids intraveniously. He's having several throw ups with his feedings and will start a medication to help with his digestion tonight. His new doctor felt he was ready to be taken off the morphine, but after only a few hours of being off the morphine he was definitely showing signs of withdrawal. He has been on morphine for 2 months, so he has had plenty of time to become addicted. After a while they made the decision to put him back on the mophine and wean him off it at a much slower rate. This means that it will be a few more days before they can remove the broviac catheter since it is delivering the morphine. I'm not sure if I've blogged about it, but the broviac was installed before his surgery in case they needed to quickly give him medications or blood transfusions. It is the only invasive tube left on his body. He has several stickers with leads to measure his heart rate, respitory rate, body temperature, oxygenation and a cuff to measure blood pressure, but no more IVs, no more PIC line!

Here's a quick clip of Lawson sucking on his pacifier. You can hear it, too cute! :)


5 comments:

  1. Yeah! I am so excited! He is doing wonderful! I am so glad for you! Can't wait til you can feed him and take him home and have your family all together! How's your mom doing? Love you guys, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is Soo adorable! I know he is gonna get this feeding thing down soon! Still cheering and praying for this awesome little guy! Go Lawson GO!!!
    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mitzi,
    Happy Mother's day! You all look wonderful, especially Lawson. I'm glad to hear he is doing better. You have been so strong. Please let me know what I can do to help. I would be glad to hang out with Lacy after school or on the weekends. Just let me know!
    Jennefer

    ReplyDelete
  4. He sure has the sucking down pat--isn't that something? I know you will be anxious to feed him--and with his day to day improvment, I don't think it will be long. :)
    Give that sweet Lawson a big kiss,
    Love,
    Nancy H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mitzi-

    Just wanted to drop you a quick note after reading your blog this evening. You and your precious Lawson have been through a lot. I want to share with you that as a mother of triplets, when my kids were so tiny, they were unable to suck at the breast, and we used those little preemie bottles that you are becoming familiar with right now. When the kids were growing and demanding more milk, I was up every few hours and pumping for three tiny babies and simple exhausted. At this time my kids were still in the hospital. When I finally realized that I couldn't keep up with the demand, and would most likely never breastfeed the kids, I was devastated. I understand the emotions you felt today. What could be more natural then a mother breast feeding her baby? Any yet, after the tears and pumping for as long as I could until the kids could switch to formula, I had to just let that notion go and know we would do what was best for the babies and for me. I ended up pumping for about 5 months, so I am sure that your doctor may encourage you do so expecting that when the time comes that Lawson can tolerate your milk, you will have a freezer full of it!

    Hang in there, Mitzi. Lots of friends and family are praying for you and your little guy! Some day, all this emotional and exhausting time will be behind you, and you will tell him stories about when he was in the hospital! My kids love hearing these stories now, that have become some of their favorites. Every moment my kids were in the hospital I was scared and afraid that sometime, anything, could go wrong. We, of course, were lucky and have 3 happy healthy kids today. My hope for you is that time of happy reflection will be soon for you, too!

    Liz Crute

    ReplyDelete