Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Firsts

Lawson's surgery was 3 weeks ago today. He has made an amazing recovery and is right on track for his gestational age, which is about 3 weeks. His scars have healed enough that he was able to get the very first bath of his life today! I'm talking REAL bath, sitting in the tub with soap and water!! Of course he wasn't a big fan, but it was totally teriffic for me! He was actually really relaxed when we were finished. My mom and I dressed him in a new outfit and changed his linens too. He smelled so wonderful that I just couldn't stop sniffing him, especially his head! Not that I minded snuggling up with a stinky baby before, but it's just much nicer when he's REALLY clean, not just 'spit shined'. ;)

Yesterday, my mom and I both got our first chance to feed Lawson his bottle. I've had time to work through my disappointment of not being able to breastfeed and really enjoyed feeding him the bottle. I've also had time to come up with some 'pros' for bottle feeding. 1)He's still getting my breastmilk, just through a bottle. 2)We know exactly how much he's eating. 3)Anyone can feed him, not just me, so daddy and mamaw can bond with him too-and very soon Lacey! 4)When he wakes up in the middle of the night, Brian can be the one to get up with him!! LOL ;)

Since Lawson moved into his 'big boy bed' his nurses have been looking for a mobile. Apparently there are several around the NICU that babies can use during their stay. Since all of the ones they have were in use, my mom and I went and bought him one and he loved it! So Lawson got his first mobile yesterday.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the TCN is a large room with about 14 bed spaces. Pretty much every space in the whole place is directly beside another space, except one, which we call the 'penthouse'. It's in a corner with lots of room. Another little baby, whose parents we've gotten to know over the past few weeks had been in Lawson's room when he was in the Intensive Care Nursery. She got moved to TCN before we did and was in the 'penthouse' when we got there. We were next door neighbors until today . . . Little Ms. Katie got to go home today! So Lawson got upgraded to the penthouse.
Hopefully Lawson will be inspired by Katie's progress and start taking more from his bottles. The nurse who had been taking care of her today before she left said, "Oh Lawson took 25ml this time? That's what Katie did just a week ago and she's headed home today!!" Keep praying!! Here's a pic of my clean boy!

8 comments:

  1. Mitzi & family....Great News...He will soon be home before you know it....Lawson is truly the Miracle baby.....He is so pretty...I bet he really enjoyed the bath....Keep posting the news, we all enjoy hearing about him....The Kiser's ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!!! Laswson is on his way!!!! Huge smiles and hugs to the Levering crew!! Won't be long now little buddy! The pics rock-love em!! His face in the bath made me lol! Like... "Whew Mommy-what is this totally weird feeling!!"
    love u all,
    :)
    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitzi, this blog for some reason brought me to tears (happy tears). I am so happy for you all and especially for your awesome little man!!!! Congrats on bath time, movin' on up to the penthouse and that pretty soon (drum roll)......you'll be bringing him home!!!!
    Love ya! Kelly & Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a handsome little fella!! This is such a wonderful update! Praises all around :)
    Love,
    The Collins

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is doing wonderfully! I am so happy for you all! Stay positive and it won't be long before you are chasing him around the house! Love ya, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the amazing progress! So happy for you and your family. I understand your saddness over not being able to breastfeed Lawson, I had the same feeling when I had to give up on feeding Hadley that way. Now she is a rambunctious 14 month old!
    Hillary Kokes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mitzi - just got caught up on your ongoings... Jason told me a little, but of course had no details. You have an amazing and adorable little boy - who looks just like Brian!!! Cameron was born at 4 pounds so I had to pump and bottlefeed... it is a beating, but you do what you gotta do. And like you said, there are some benefits. Y'all are in our thoughts and prayers! Rachel and Jason Huber

    ReplyDelete
  8. From fighter pilot to penthouse so fast. lil lawson is the big cheese today! (good thing he had a bath!) what wonderful news for y'all!

    love
    Kate Eatmon

    ReplyDelete