Sunday, May 10, 2009

Paying Attention

We've had a terrific weekend! Yesterday morning we took Lacey strawberry picking. The whole experience took about 30 minutes but she had a blast! I highly recommend Page farms, behind Kohl's at Brier Creek. When we got home, Lacey made mini strawberry pies all by herself. She's such a sweetie; she made a card and two strawberry pies to welcome our new neighbors to the neighborhood. When that was all done and we got her down for her nap, Brian and I went to the hospital to visit with Lawson. We were surprised at first to find that he had moved to a new room. We found out that that means he's doing VERY well. :) Since lactation isn't there on the weekend, we decided not to try 'lick and learn' without them. Instead I kangarooed with Lawson all afternoon. He was in such a good mood and even smiled at us. :) We got home just in time for a late dinner and Lacey went to bed soon after. My mom is a huge Nascar fan, so we spent the evening watching the race. (Definitely not my thing, but it was great to see her have so much fun.)

My Mother's Day began when I awoke to breakfast in bed from my wonderful husband! When Lacey woke up, she brought me her present, a snowglobe with an angel that plays music. I also got a beautiful bouquet of flowers delivered from my sister and an IOU for teak lounge chairs for the deck.

Today we decided to try out a new church. I've been a believer for years, but haven't found a church I like since I left Jacksonville. This whole experience has given Brian renewed faith and it just felt like time to start our search for a home church. After a little research, we decided to go to The Summit just off Alexander Dr. It was really a great experience, very welcoming and comfortable. As we arrived, there was a table to help visitors find their way around. They told Lacey all about the awsome children's church called kidslife. She was feeling a little shy today, so she chose to stay with us. She was fairly engaged for about 15 minutes, long enough to hear the praise and worship songs and the beginning of the sermon. We were able to quietly entertain her for most of the service with a very long potty break in the middle. We honestly felt like the sermon was geared to us. It was all about how it's hard to believe in the goodness of God when things in your life are so bad. He even used two examples that spoke directly to Brian- a young girl with MS (Brian's mom died at a young age of MS) and a baby being born very sick. We'll definitley check it out again!

After church Mom and I headed to the hospital to visit with Lawson, Lacey and daddy spent the day together. Lawson was an absolute dream today! He even let us give him a sponge bath without crying! It really seems like he's going to be a good baby. How can one mom be so lucky? Two amazing kids!

Our evening ended with special hot fudge cakes topped with vanilla ice cream and sprinkles, made by Ms. Lacey. We got the Duncan Hines Warm Delights Minis, which are basically the microwave version of Easy Bake Oven cakes. Lacey did almost everything herself until we got the the ice cream and sprinkles. Just to make things go a little more quickly I did those. To my surprise, Lacey stomped her foot and said, "Damn it Mommy! I wanted to do the sprinkles!" When I inquired as to where she'd heard that (truly expecting to hear 'Daddy') she said, "On the stage". I was quickly reminded of an anecdote the preacher told this morning. He was telling about a new Christian who was just learning to pray. According to his story, the new Christian was, of course, a little awkard and uncomfortable praying out loud in a small group prayer circle. The preacher said, "Please give me a little grace here, as I'm just quoting exactly what the guy said. So the guy says, "Oh Lord, Oh God, Oh Great Spirit . . . No wait, wait. . . no. Damn it!" Now all you kids, I'm not approving of you saying that word, I'm just telling what the guy said!" Wow! You take your child to church to learn more about Godliness and she comes home cursing! And we thought she wasn't paying attention! LOL I truly can't stop laughing!!

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day. Reading this blog has been a perfect ending to my mother's day:) Love,Love the Lacey story!!

    Jamie Campbell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day Mitzi:) It sounds like you had a wonderful day, as you should. It doesn't surprise me that Lacey heard what she heard...she's one smart cookie! Love ya! Wish your mom a happy Mother's Day as well.
    Lenny & Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day....you deserve it. I am thrilled you are looking for a church home.

    Continued prayers,
    Scott and Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't be happier for all of you!!! :) An awesome Mom's day for an amazing Mom!! May the smiles keep on coming!! Go Lawson Goooo!! Tell you little baker-she can bake me a cake anytime-she is just precious!
    (HUGS) to the Happy Levering Crew!
    Love ya, Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  5. MITZI...I AM GLAD THINGS ARE LOOKING UP FOR YOU ALL AND ESPECIALLY THAT YOU ALL WENT TO CHURCH....WE HAD SUCH A GOOD SERVICE AT OUR CHURCH YESTERDAY...SCOTT & CHRIS, CLINT WERE SITTING RIGHT BEHIND US IN CHURCH...SO GLAD LAWSON IS IMPROVING EACH DAY....LOVE FROM THE KISER'S ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Lacey's story! That had to be so funny yet so horrible at the same time. I'm so glad you had a good mothers day! Love ya, Manda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mitzi,I'm glad that you all are doing well.Your mom has kept us informed on you and the baby. Just want you to know we are praying for you all. Mom told me to tell you all hello. You have a beautiful family!!Love ya Sandy Justus

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you had a great Mother's day. It's awesome to hear that you guys connected with the stories at church. It will be amazing to see how God will use all of this for His Glory!

    ReplyDelete