Sunday, May 3, 2009

Moving along

My sister and her family left this evening and I went to the hospital by myself after that. When I got there, there were tons of doctors, nurses, and the RT standing around Lawson's bed. Apparently, he had been switched to the conventional ventilator and wasn't happy about it. His heart rate had skyrocketed and his oxygenation was down. By the time I got there, they had gotten him settled down by adjusting his ventilator settings and giving him more medicine. While I was there, his stats were pretty stable with a few ups and downs, but he did cry quite a bit. I was able to settle him down by giving him his pacifier. The video clip shows him sucking on his pacifier while holding onto my hand. His nurse said that he may be crying because the conventional ventilator gives him breaths in a different way. While the jet ventilator vibrates the air into the airways, the conventional ventilator forces air into his lungs. She said this could possibly be painful since he had stitches throughout the remaining part of his left lung. I asked why they couldn't just take him off the ventilator all together to prevent this. She said they have to make sure he's ready first and they will be giving him pain medication to ensure his comfort in the interim. She said if he does OK tonight, they will be extubating him tomorrow. Pray for his comfort and success tonight! We'll keep you posted!

8 comments:

  1. We're keeping you in our prayers.
    Love you,
    Kelly & Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been out of the country for a week. WOW a lot has happen in a week. MY prayers are with you all. Please let me help out with anything. Love,
    Jenn Dunn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying hard for Lawson!! Hang in there buddy! Just a little hurdle....Sending u guys Big HUGS!! love ya, Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep hanging in there. He has done so well. I can't wait for the day that you get to take him home! I hope it will be very soon! Still praying and sending big hugs, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  5. We continue to pray for Lawson...!
    Love,
    The Collins

    ReplyDelete
  6. WE ARE STILL PRAYING FOR LAWSON HERE IN HONAKER...I THINK OUR WHOLE CHURCH IS INTERESTED IN HIM AND ARE PRAYING FOR HIM...KEEP YOUR FAITH, MITZI. I REALLY THINK HE IS GOING TO MAKE IT......GOD IS GOOD!!!!...LOVE FROM HONAKER....SUE & RALPH

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor little guy--I know it must be hard to see him uncomfortable. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
    thanks for keeping us posted-=-I continue to pray for Lawson--I believe he is a very strong little fellow!
    Love,
    Nancy Huxley

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you think about it forced air into even our lungs would cause some discomfort and alarm especially when you're accustomed to another feeling like the vibration and that was in the airway not the lungs. He is a strong little fellow and last night I began the prayer for his comfort and a good adjustment to this new transfer of breathing equipment.
    With anticipation and hope I look forward to more joy thru this brave little fellow. Many prayers abound for your continued strength also. With continued praise and prayer on this Levering journey of Amazing Hope I send love and hugs to all of you.
    Christ's Love,
    Jackie Scott

    ReplyDelete