Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Mom of 2

I went to the hospital early today so I could 'kangaroo' with Lawson. This is what the NICU considers a special way of holding your baby. You wear a button front blouse and unbutton it, then hold your baby, skin to skin, to encourage closeness and bonding. I wish I could find the words to describe that experience today! I sat with Lawson on my chest for about 2 hours today. Just before I left the hospital, they removed his nasal cannula. He was breathing beautifully and his oxygen saturation was between 98 - 100% (that's really good) with no support. So at this point the only tube he has left is the gavage feeding tube. It will remain until he learns to feed, which hopefully will be very soon!!

As I was leaving the hospital, Brian was arriving for his turn to visit with Lawson. I planned my day so that I could leave the hospital early enough to pick up Lacey from daycare. Her class is creating a vegetable garden and her teachers have asked us to donate some plants. Lacey was SUPER excited about it, so we went to Lowe's for Lacey to pick out some vegetable plants and flowers. She was just adorable, carefully picking each plant- watermelon, cantelope, sweet banana peppers, tomatoes, rutabaga, yellow bell peppers. She's actually excited to eat what they're growing. We'll see how that works out. lol

It was a great day with both of my children. Hopefully it won't be much longer before I can have a great day with both of my children at the same time!

14 comments:

  1. What a blessed day you have had! I love the updates! I'm sure Lacey will be excited to watch her garden grow! Raine has one and loves it! Congratulations on a blessed day and many more to come. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. The anticipation in everyone's heart and spirit is mounting! 98 to 100% oxygen saturation! WOW! Mom of 2! That skin to skin is glorious news also. GOD Is SOoooo GOOD!
    Even a garden to grow and share with that beautiful Lacey is also GOD given! Enjoy! ENjoy! Enjoy!!! You are on a wonderful journey!
    Prayers and Praises continue!
    What a wonderful picture of Lawson! Look at those inquisitive eyes truly trying to figure this world out???!!!
    Lots of love awaits him!
    God is certainly faithful to us!
    Continue to share with (us!) :)
    Love,
    Jackie Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful, wonderful day....once again God is GOOD!!!

    Love and Hugs,
    Scott and Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. LAWSON IS TRULY THE MIRACLE BABY...YOU ARE SO BLESSED TO HAVE HIM AND LACEY TOO...I SURE HOPE IT IS NOT TOO LONG BEFORE YOU HAVE HIM AT HOME WITH YOUR FAMILY COMPLETE....GOD IS SO GOOD.....LOVE, THE KISER'S....

    ReplyDelete
  5. LAWSON is So Awesome!!! I can't wait until you get this miracle baby boy home!!! Congrats Awesome Mom of 2 and the entire Levering crew! I Have to LOL thinking of Lacey eating those vegetables...go Big Sis go!! I know she loved her mommy day too! Big hugs and smiles to the Levering crew!! :) Love ya, Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you.....you are such an inspiration to others...your faith, hope, and positivity just show how God can truly work in our lives! Thanks for all of the updates. Praying for you all daily!
    Kim Langston:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mitzi, I am so happy for you and your family. Lawson is such a beautiful, miracle baby! Thank you for taking the time to keep everyone updated, I pray for you and your family everyday and I'm always so happy to see a positive blog about Lawson's progress!!! May God continue to bless you all, Lori and Bruce Boggs

    ReplyDelete
  8. It just keeps getting better and better:)
    nynke

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a living testimony our little fighter is. God is so good... prayers have been answered - it sounds like you can relax and start enjoying both of your beautifully created children. We are so, so, happy for you... Jody Hardman

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good news!!!! Keep it coming Mitzi, we love it!!

    Kelly & Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy for you!!! And Lawson is indeed and incredibly beautiful and miracle baby! No matter how much "science" we might think we know, life itself is nothing but a miracle.
    Keep up the posts, and Hugs and Kisses for your two beautiful babies!!!
    The Nochettos///

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful picture of your little boy! You must be so excited! I love hearing the good news!!!

    Emily Goins

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is so beautiful! Sharon, Nynke and I are always thinking of you and want you to know that we are with you every step of the way!

    Maya

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lawson is so handsome :) What a lovely way to spend the day with your kids. We're still with you in prayer!
    The Collins

    ReplyDelete