Monday, May 18, 2009

Curveball

We got a call this morning letting us know that the speech therapist was concerned that Lawson wasn't progressing like she would like to see and felt that he needed to go ahead with the swallow study. Brian and I met at the hosptial around 2pm to get the results. I knew I needed to pump a little before we tried breastfeeding for his 3pm feeding, but I wanted to get a little Lawson lovin' first. So I was snuggling with Lawson when the speech therapist arrived. She started by saying, "Well, everything's O.K. but I have good news and bad news." To be perfectly honest, I didn't hear exactly what else she said besides, "It's not going to be safe for Lawson to breastfeed." I'm sure there aren't a lot of people who can truly understand how devistating those ten words were for me.


To me it's the ultimate bond between a mother and child, a special connection that no one else can duplicate. I breastfed Lacey for 14 months and loved every second of it. When she was an infant, I loved the way she would grunt and snort as her eyes rolled back in her head in pure delight. As she grew and learned the sign language for milk, she would look longingly at me squeezing her fat little fingers in perfect form, looking to fill her hunger for our special time as much as the hunger in her tummy. Not to mention the ease of delivery, no bottles to make, nothing to measure or wash, nothing to remember. I've joked that if I had to remember to pack bottles in my diaper bag for Lacey she would have starved!

As she noticed the tears welling up in my eyes, Amanda, the speech therapist, apologized for being the bearer of the news. Since I was crying, we pulled the curtains around us. One of the other nurses assumed we were breastfeeding and called across the curtain to see if we needed the scale. "Mrs. Levering, are you breastfeeding? Do you need the scale?" I choked back the tears to answer and have been sniffling ever since every time it comes to mind. Pat, the lactation consultant, came by soon after and obviously hadn't heard the news. After we filled her in, she assured me that we can continue to 'lick and learn' with an empty breast to continue our bonding and help him remember the skill in case he can grow out of it.


Amanda, the speech therapist, drew us a picture of the esophagus and trachea and showed us what was happening when Lawson swallows. The epiglottis is supposed to cover the trachea when we eat or drink. It seems that when Lawson takes breastmilk, both from the breast and a bottle nipple, the epiglottis doesn't cover adequately and some of it goes into his lungs. Since the respritory system has been Lawson's main problem, we must protect his lungs.

Now on to the good news. As I mentioned before, I'm not sure of all the details, but the good news is that Lawson can safely drink from a bottle if the milk has been thickened with a special gel called Simply Thick. Daddy gave Lawson his 'first' bottle today; Amanda was actually first, but we didn't see it, so it doesn't count! ;) He was able to drink 15ml through the bottle. If he is awake and aware at his feeding times, the nurses have been instructed to try bottle feeding first and then finish with the tube feeding.



And so I continue my relationship with the pump . . .

6 comments:

  1. Mitz, I am so so sorry, I know that news was devastating for u :(
    But Mitzi, Lawson has liked to keep us all on our toes from day one. Everything about this little guy is different and special. So somehow this doesn't surprise me. Your bond will be just as special and awesome as it is with Lacey, it will just be created a little different. Maybe you will dance with him, sing to him, play with him or rock him just a little more. U will find a way and make it happen. U R an AMAZING Mom, I see it each time I see Lacey and through living this experience with you and Lawson. Girl, your bond with him is already remarkable and awesome, I truly believe that your love and spirit has kept this little miracle here!! Through everything he has endured, your love has helped see him through every step of the way!!! No greater bond then THAT!! Go Lawson GOO!! :)
    Thought, prayers and all my love to the Levering Crew!
    (HUGE HUGS)
    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitzi I understand!!! You brought back memories which of course caused me to cry with you... but this I tell you, you NEVER have to prop a bottle like so many mothers do. I never did with any of my children - during their life of need for the bottle. They never were trained to hold their bottles independently.One sweet little hand would curl around the bottle but there was never a 2 hand hold. That REMAINED our special time together. Cup or glass holding was taught as an independent task but not the bottle. So, onward BOND!!!...sharing those sweet moments. Already in the photo with Brian, Lawson's eyes are turned in love and learning toward him. It will beautiful! God continues in HIS blessing you!
    Lots of love and hugs to all of you!
    Jackie Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet family - It will all be OK, I just know it will. Perhaps Lawson is saving his lungs for a fantastic career as a singer! Love conquers all! hugs,hugs,hugs -Gretchen R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mitzi,
    My heart goes out to you. I know how much this means to you, but think of all the obstacles you've overcome and there's no doubt in my mind that you'll get through this as well. You already have an amazing bond with your little man. When this journey first began there were so many unanswered questions. At least you're getting answers now and those answers will help to bring your baby boy home.
    Love you girl -
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for this obstacle! I breastfed Raine and I understand what you are talking about. You have done a wonderful job! Just hang in there. God will bless you for being so strong and patient. I love you! Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mitzi,

    My Sunday school class will be praying for Lawson to be able to breastfeed Lawson.

    Love,
    Jenn Dunn

    ReplyDelete