Monday, May 25, 2009

Exciting Updates

Over the weekend we've had some really exciting changes! Lawson has yet another Attending Physician, Dr. Malcom, whose specialty is transitioning infants to home. He's also a big supporter of breastfeeding. He feels that the swallow study is an 'unnatural' way to check to see if breastfeeding is safe, since it is done in the lab and not actually at the breast. He believes that the best way to know things are going well is to watch the baby's stats- respiratory rate, heart rate, and oxygenation. Since all of Lawson's stats have been perfect during our previous breastfeeding sessions, Dr. Malcom has encouraged me to begin breastfeeding again! So that was some pretty exciting news for me! Because they're trying to help Lawson gain weight, they have been supplementing my breastmilk with 1/2 teaspoon of Infamil formula to add extra calories at each feed when they put it through the feeding tube. Now that he has begun taking bottles, they are still supplementing with the formula, so at least for a while, Lawson will need to take some of his nutrition from bottles but we can also breastfeed!

On Saturday, Brian and I split our day, so we could cover more time with Lawson. I went in for the 9am and 12pm feedings and Brian did the 3pm and 6pm. He took between 20 and 50mls each time! To save his strength, they gave him the rest of his feedings through the tube overnight. Then when I arrived at the hospital Sunday for his 12pm feeding, I noticed that Lawson's feeding tube was gone. His nurse said that Lawson pulled it out himself that morning after the 9am feeding. I guess he's ready to prove himself! :) They decided to let him keep it out and try taking all of his feeds by mouth today. They increased the formula additive in the breastmilk so that he can take less total volume and still get enough calories. As long as he drinks at least 40ml from the bottle or breast or a combination of both they consider it a success. He did great again today with Brian and me, taking every feed successfully!! I just got off the phone with his nurse (at 3:18am) and she said she put the tube in for his 3am feeding just to give him a break. She said he had been GREAT for her all evening! It's only a matter of time! :)

8 comments:

  1. This little guy just continues to amaze us all! He is so truly special!! I know I am speaking for many of the blog followers when I say Lawson has changed us in so many ways though following his life in the blog. Lawson has changed me forever; without a doubt- I truly believe in miracles now!!!
    Huge hugs to the Levering Crew-so so happy for u all. Home sweet home soon little buddy...go Lawson GOOOO!!! Lots of love!
    :)
    Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so beautiful.....Growing every day. He will soon be home with his Family....Mitzi, when you come to Honaker to see everyone, you must bring him to see me....I still say that God is the one who did this, he took over and brought him through....He is truly a Miracle Baby....He is so Precious.....Love to All..The Kiser's....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitzi,
    Lawson is doing so great. He is sailing with his feeding, Katie never increased that fast. You guys are going to be home soon, I know it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that this Dr encouraged you to continue breastfeeding. I love the closenesss that it gives you. Home is very close for Lawson. We will continue to pray everyday for your family. Love, Amanda Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mitzi,
    I saw your Aunt Wanda at church in Honaker and she brought me up to speed and gave me the website. I'm so glad to see that Lawson is close to coming home and improving each and every day. You and the baby are in our prayers. Let me know when you bring the baby to Honaker. I would love to see all of you. Love -Kim Harris Crabtree (kimberh75@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great progress and a huge praise that the new Dr is such a big supporter of breastfeeding! Still praying for continued good news. - Molly McCay Lowe

    ReplyDelete
  7. You ALL look great!! I am so happy to continue to read all the great things you have going on!!

    Alexandria

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about that! :) Love the the little 'sleep pose' he's developed. Love to you, Samantha

    ReplyDelete